Sunday, May 04, 2008

Bell's Palsy


On Wednesday night last week Dom came home and told me that the left side of his face felt numb. I, being the positive thinker that I am (insert sarcasm), went straight to thoughts of stroke. I feared the worst. He didn’t want to go to the ER and I was up half the night checking to make sure he was breathing and imagining calling 911 at some point in the night and all kinds of other horrible things because sometimes that’s how my overactive imagination rolls. Thursday morning his face was still numb, so he decided to go to the ER to get checked out. He has Bell’s Palsy and thankfully it will clear up! For now though he refers to himself as Droopy the Dog. He is doing okay, but he has to wear a patch on his eye for sleep and work because the eyelid doesn’t close all the way and causes dryness and discomfort. One side of his mouth feels like he went to the dentist and his forehead only wrinkles on one side now. He has the most charming half smile though and has referred to himself as Elvis a couple of times...I don't know why, but this feels like a reoccuring theme somehow. I'd rather refer to him as a pirate with that eyepatch.

4 comments:

Mr. Mustachio said...

Sometimes I get Bells Palsy when I go to the dentist.
Is his favorite animal an arrrrdvark?
Is his favorite state arrrrrkansas?
Has he dug up your backyard looking for booty?
Does he drink Arrrrr C Cola?
Does he eat arrrrrtichokes?

April said...

Ok, that is so weird. My sister-in-law's sister-in-law, (sorry that's so complicated) got it too. The same thing happened to her face. She's had it for a few months now but the last I saw her, her face was almost back to normal. Hopefully Dom's won't last that long and luckily it's not permanent. Tell him he's not alone!

deesha said...

I have a friend who got it in junior high. It was temporary. Hang in there Dom!

The Justice Family said...

What causes it? Is it some kind of bacteria or virus? My cousin and Grandma have had it. For some reason I thought it was a virus.