Thursday, July 10, 2008

M'am?

I went to Taco Bell last week at lunchtime…yeah I know; Taco Bell, but I love the tostadas there. Okay, so I was at Taco Bell and stepped up to the register to place my order and the kid behind the counter said, “What can I do for you m’am?” This has been happening more and more often lately. What’s wrong with that you ask? I’m a m’am now! When did this happen? When did I change over from Miss to M’am? Yes, I’m aware that I just called the guy at the register a kid. One time not too long ago…a few years maybe I was carded when Dom and I were at the grocery store getting beer for him. He showed his card because it was his purchase and he was paying and the checker wouldn’t let us buy it until I produced my card as proof of my legal age. I thought it was annoyingly funny. Now I don’t get so much a questionable glance at check out when Dom buys beer. What?

It also reminds me of when I was a substitute teacher in Texas. I usually taught at elementary or middle schools, but one time they needed me for a high school. By the time I was called to go in classes were already in session and I had my little backpack filled with stuff for me to do because usually my work day was all about movies and games. I was quickly walking from the office to the classroom I was assigned to when I was stopped by an annoyed voice. “What are you doing?”
I turned around to face a stern faced woman in a business suit. “Going to my class.”
“You are late; you should already be in class. Who’s your teacher?” She looked pretty upset with me almost as if she was going to start tapping her foot and tisk tisk me.
“I’m the sub.”
She smiled, “Oh, okay. You looked like a student!” As if she hadn’t been rude to me just seconds ago just because she thought I was a teenager late to class.
I thought she was harsh on her students based on that interaction. A class was nearby doing something in the lunchroom and one of the students that overheard said, “She’s mean huh?”
I was inclined to agree, but as a sub I knew I shouldn’t. I went into my class, but thought a lot about how she treated someone she thought was a student. It was no wonder some of the student population there didn’t feel much affection for her. At the end of the day she saw me on my way out and made a point to thank me for coming in last minute (that’s what subs do).

Be nice to your teenagers…they are people too! (Love you Matt and Ty my two favorite teens)!

6 comments:

The Justice Family said...

That is a pretty funny story (about subbing)! No I have been mam lately too. It sucks! I think the "kids" these days see us as old, but were not! There time will come also. Faster than they know.

Mr. Mustachio said...

I get called M'am when I go to buy beer. What's up with that?

deesha said...

I love Taco Bell :) And you are not old. I think teeenagers just keep getting younger. Wait, that probably just means that I am getting old huh?

I am currently laughing when servers call me "miss" because, hello, I am 7 months pregnant. That automatically ages me in my mind.

Manda said...

I should probably mention that I appreciate polite young people. I'm not complaining about politeness, I'm complaining about aging I guess. Ugh! However, 30 is the new 20, so I'm pretty young.

cruella said...

Trust me, Manda-Jane, you are still very young...I hate getting old, as Bette Davis said"getting old isn't for sissys" now I suppose you don't know who Bette Davis is...oh well, just wanted to say hi.love your blog.

Manda said...

Cruella I do too know who Bette Davis is! You might love my blog, but I love you! Neither you or I are sissys if I do say so myself. Hope to plan a trip out to see you sometime! Maybe next summer...