Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Everyone Out!

So, just as church was ending on Sunday the Bishop came in to inform us that we needed to exit the building as soon as possible. A lady in the ward was talking to me about a potential sewing project she would like me to help with (I don’t sew). I said I would love to help if I had a sewing machine. (I actually do own a sewing machine, but have never used it; in fact, my mother in law is using it back in Santa Barbara.) I’m thinking about just buying another one and letting her keep it. I decided to check out the bulletin board on the way out of church because I missed some of what the Bishop said and thought maybe he just mentioned going home because we should spend time with our families. I proceeded to walk outside and a young woman in the ward asked me if I knew what was going on. I shrugged my shoulders and she said, “I heard something about a bomb.”

I walked out into the parking lot and noticed a couple cop cars blocking the driveway near my car. I went home and was a bit alarmed about the scenario in my head picturing the building exploding behind me in my rear view mirror and expecting to hear sirens. (I have a bit of an imagination). I thought of a time when I was sixteen or seventeen when I drove home from a youth dance at my church when some friends where in the midst of a fight. It was the same thing…part of me wanted to stay to see if things would be okay, but on the other hand I obeyed my “orders” and drove home.

In both cases I received updates on the situation unexpectedly the next morning. In my youth I heard people talking about the fight that stayed to watch how everything unfolded in my Sunday school class. In this most recent experience I was listening to the radio and there was a little news update and the DJ mentioned the evacuation and informed that there were four pipe bombs found on the property. Three had been detonated and one was live still. I was parked pretty darn close to the live one. The bomb squad was called in from Salem and everything. Good times. Anyway, they say the church was not a target and it was probably just some kids playing around (there is a large grass field). It just made for an interesting Sunday and walk down memory lane.

In other news about me I’m still doing electrolysis and enjoying the results of that. I would have napped today if it weren’t for the pain of the actual process. I’m also really enjoying my acupuncture and adjusting to my new work schedule. I’ve been working a lot lately. It’s good for me to stay busy. I need it.

No comments: